Listen to Podcasts Most Commonly Abused? Teens most commonly abuse pain relievers like oxycontin and vicodin, stimulants like Ritalin and adderall, and sedatives and tranquilizers like valium and xanax. Source: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration Getting Help
- Parents: 1-855-DRUGFREE (1-855-378-4373)
- Find a Treatment Provider: 1-800-788-7254
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)
Check Pharmacy Licenses Ohio Automated Rx Reporting System (OARRS) – Tracks the misuse of controlled drugs.
Drug Free Clubs of America:
Drug Free Clubs of America was founded by firefighters in the Greater Cincinnati area, with the promising idea that if teen drug use never begins, it never has to be defeated. Check out the posters of Pickerington High School’s Drug Free Club student officers.
Drug Free Kids – drugfreekids.org
Baffled by Addiction is a MUST READ. Under the Influence and Beyond the Influence are very clinical in nature. Stay Close and A Beautiful Boy are personal stories written by loving parents who have an addicted child. Stay Close touched me deeply and became my “bible” when I learned about my son’s addiction.
I also highly recommend that everyone read the Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book, which gives great insight into the disease.
- Baffled by Addiction by Thurman Edward Hughs and Ronald R. Turner
- Under The Influence by James Milam and Katherine Kecham
- Beyond The Influence by Katherine Ketcham and William Asbury
- Escorted Away by Harry Josephson- click here to buy.
- Stay Close by Libby Cataldi
- Dream Land by Sam Quinones
- Beautiful Boy by David Sheff
Drug Free Clubs of America was founded by firefighters in the Greater Cincinnati area. With the promising idea that if teen drug use never begins, it never has to be defeated. Learn from the parents who have been there.
This foundation focuses on developing an educational curriculum around their message. They provide detailed information and options on alternatives to opioids that are often prescribed for pain treatment.